[Mimedefang] OT: Better file transfer system?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Feb 27 13:34:29 EST 2006

--On Monday, February 27, 2006 11:51 AM -0500 WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> You're correct. Some of the traffic should probably be encrypted since it
> may contain student information.

In my case it's sensitive business data, which might include quotes,
invoices, drawings, and source code. I went with web folders because it had
"desktop integration" (ie. drag and drop) for the WIMP users and because I
could secure it over HTTPS.

My sendmail setup is configured to limit attachments to 16 MB.

At my old company I did that after a user decided to mail himself a 50 MB
movie at the office with the expectation that he'd forward it to his home
account and that would somehow make it faster than directly downloading it
from home. I don't recall the mechanism but it wedged either sendmail or
qpopper. I think it was due to the delay when qpopper copied his huge mbox
mail folder and Outlook Express timed out.