[Mimedefang] Re: Justifying greylisting to management

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Feb 27 10:47:17 EST 2006

--On Sunday, February 26, 2006 10:54 PM +0100 Jan Pieter Cornet
<johnpc at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Indeed it is. The whole world will not compensate for the inadequacies
> of a small group of incompetent administrators. Not anymore - the
> internet is moving away from that view very fast. We tried it, and it
> worked pretty well in the old days, but it stopped working when some
> particularly anti-social individuals found out it was sooo easy to abuse
> this implicit trust you got everywhere.

This discussion reminds me of how web browsers' attempts to compensate for
bad HTML and "do what I mean" have created lots of badly coded web pages
that must now be compensated for with every new generation of web browser
and HTML standard. And no one has any idea what the actual "standard" is
because every browser responds differently to the HTML. Good content
authors spend tons of time working around bugs in browsers created by their
DWIM systems.

Better to code to the standard and reject bad content outright, so that
bugs are flagged early and people don't waste a lot of time trying to
converge on a de facto "standard of bugs".