[Mimedefang] Re: Justifying greylisting to management

Charles cg-list at sterlingideas.com
Mon Feb 27 07:23:47 EST 2006

Jan Pieter Cornet wrote:
> Now, all exchange experts I've spoken to, agree that one of the cardinal
> mistakes you can make in setting up an exchange server is letting it talk
> directly to the internet at large - you should always put it behind a
> sendmail(or other unix MTA) box that does the actual mail receiving and
> transmitting into the whole bad world for it.

Amen!  That's actually the very beginning of why I found MD in the first
place.  I was deploying "sacrificial lamb" sendmail boxes just as front
line SMTP receivers ahead of each customer's Exchange box I admin.
Eventually I moved to just one central box acting as a SMTP gateway and
started using MD for it.  It's a beautiful thing.

And, while I've got no particular love for Exchange, you can't blame it
for the greylisting issues.  I've got two Exchange organizations behind
our greylisting system and several Exchange systems at regular partner
sites, and we've never had any greylisting-related problems.