[Mimedefang] Overcoming RPM stupidity

Michael Lang michi+mimedefang at relay3.jackal-net.at
Tue Dec 19 16:09:22 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 12:57:03PM -0600, Richard Laager wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 20:46 -0500, Jeff Rife wrote:
> > In the Fedora 6 RPM for MIMEDefang, mimedefang.pl was created using no
> > "Features" at all.  For most of them, this isn't a big deal, as I can
> > put "$Features{'whatever'} = 1" in mimedefang-filter and it works.
> >
> > But, this isn't true for Unix::Syslog (or at least I haven't found a
> > way to overcome it).
>
> I've been following the rest of this thread, but seriously, the subject
> captures the problem. The Fedora 6 MIMEDefang RPM has a bug. Report it
> to the Fedora people to get a fixed RPM. If you need a faster solution,
> fix the RPM yourself and install that, then send them the patch.

that depends on what you define as a bug ... if there's a modular setup for
the script an using Sys::Syslog is legal and okay it's not a bug.
AFAIK the Fedora guys build there RPMs using Plague, which i think is the
best way to build and provide RPMS to a big community. So if the SPEC file
doesnt say something different than *you need Unix::Syslog* the build will
complete without a problem. Doing mystic things in %post and so isnt a good
idea cause, you may shoot some dependencies used by other packages (conflicts
with Unix::Syslog) or there's maybe no Network connectivity to CPAN mirrors, ...

one thing you could do is to seperate the Syslog part from the filter, putting
just a wrapper into the code and deploying a default mimdefang-syslog module
which handles the real implemtation (for default installs Sys::syslog) and then
a second RPM can be build deploying Unix::Syslog as backend deployment which would
have the perl-Unix-Syslog dependency and everyone should live happy until ...

just my 5 cents