[Mimedefang] Overcoming RPM stupidity

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Dec 19 13:57:03 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 20:46 -0500, Jeff Rife wrote:
> In the Fedora 6 RPM for MIMEDefang, mimedefang.pl was created using no
> "Features" at all.  For most of them, this isn't a big deal, as I can
> put "$Features{'whatever'} = 1" in mimedefang-filter and it works.
>
> But, this isn't true for Unix::Syslog (or at least I haven't found a
> way to overcome it).

I've been following the rest of this thread, but seriously, the subject
captures the problem. The Fedora 6 MIMEDefang RPM has a bug. Report it
to the Fedora people to get a fixed RPM. If you need a faster solution,
fix the RPM yourself and install that, then send them the patch.

Any workarounds in the filter are going to be hacky. I think David's on
the right track trying to have MIMEDefang detect them at run-time, but
unless and until that happens, fixing the RPM is the right course of
action here.

Richard