[Mimedefang] Return-Path help

Mark Johnson defang at astroshapes.com
Fri Dec 15 10:12:59 EST 2006

I know this isn't the right list for this, but I thought maybe I could
use MimeDefang to fix a real minor issue I'm having.  I'm using Cyrus
IMAP server and sieve for filtering.  If someone set's up a vacation
message, sieve autoresponds but sets "Return-Path: <>".  I'm noticing
that many other autoresponders do the exact same thing, but more and
more often, I'm noticing that customers mail servers are not accepting
those messages with this:

<someuser at domain.com>
    (reason: 556 Mail from nullsender not allowed (#5.7.1))

I can't figure out how to make sieve add the correct name in the return
path, so is there a way to make Mimedefang do it on the way out?  Set
the return-path to whatever the from has in it?  And should I even
attempt this?  I've been reading and it looks to me like this was maybe
done on purpose to prevent mail loops, and mail servers are supposed to
accept messages with null Return-Paths.

Anyone have any ideas on this?  Thanks for the input!!

Mark