[Mimedefang] Re: Image spam and broken file formats

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Dec 5 17:04:11 EST 2006

Kenneth Porter spake the following on 12/5/2006 1:38 PM:
> --On Tuesday, December 05, 2006 9:34 AM -0500 "Cormack, Ken"
> <ken.cormack at roadway.com> wrote:
>
>> Some graphics programs for the MAC create images
>> that djpeg was interpereting as being "corrupt".
>
> Isn't djpeg based on the reference JPEG implementation? What could those
> programs be doing that would irritate a reference implementation?
>
> In principle, anything our web browsers and email clients can't
> recognize should be treated as garbage, so perhaps whatever library they
> use can be tweaked to do the job.

But there is a lot that can be added to an image without breaking the image.
Just look at steganography. You can hide a lot in an image and still render it
with no visible traces.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and