[Mimedefang] Wiki updates

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Apr 6 11:32:55 EDT 2006

Steffen Kaiser wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>

>>I added a new example to the Wiki that people can download and paste
>>in if they wish:
>>
>>http://www.mimedefang.org/kwiki/index.cgi?PhilipsWorkingFilter
>>
>>Any comments are appreciated.
>>

>:-) You ban the .eu TLD (European Union) even before the registration
>began:
>"Monday, April 3, 2006
>
>.EU Registrations Begin This Friday!
>Public registrations of .EU begin this Friday at 2:00 a.m. (Pacific
>Daylight Time)"

That's because it's not an enforceable legal authority. You still need to
rely on the transparency of the member countries to enforce anti-spam
policy, pursue fraud, misrepresentation, extortion, etc.

>You match the TLD agains $ccpat.

That's right: just in case the IP address doesn't match in IP::Country
but the rDNS contains a country-code TLD (i.e. .mx).

>BTW: I don't remember where, but there is perl FAQ with entry like "how
>can I check if a value is part of an ARRAY?", the answer is like "if you
>need to ask this, you certainly have used the wrong data structure and
>should use an HASH. Otherwise use foreach()".
>I'd say you should do the same and use HASHes instead of ARRAY and regex.

The problem is that when matching against @bad_tlds you're don't know in
advance how many domain components to strip off and test... It could be an
arbitrary number.

So I'm taking a substring of the right-hand side of $hostname and
looking for
it in @bad_tlds, but I don't know in advance how long a portion of it...

-Philip