[Mimedefang] Help with bouncing e-mails to group of users

McKinlay, Ken Ken.McKinlay at curtisswright.com
Fri Sep 30 11:48:27 EDT 2005

> > I am hoping for either a simple sendmail or Mimedefang
> solution for a
> > group of invalid addresses being used for joe-jobs. It appears that
> > one of our e-mail addresses is sort of being used as the base of the
> > "from" address in spam. The user component of the address is in the
> > format of "jdow????", where the "?"s are a series of random letters.
> > To populate an access.db file for sendmail to deny all the possible
> > combinations just for that one example would need more than 450,000
> > entries.
>
> Allow me to ask a stupid question.
>
> Why aren't you rejecting ALL invalid addresses?  There are
> various more-or-less easy ways to do this, and it should cut
> down greatly on the number of bounce messages you have to
> generate... many of which are probably joe-jobs themselves.
>
> --
> Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902

Matthew,

Not a stupid question at all. I totally agree with you. The gateway
handles our legacy domains prior to merging with our current parent
company. I don't manage or own the internal mail system that runs on MS
Exchange (I know, I know, but it's not of my choosing so please save the
flames ;-) ) so I can't easily extract a list of valid addresses... yet.

Ken