[Mimedefang] MX -> 127.0.0.1

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Tue Sep 13 14:33:32 EDT 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 10:34, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> > How is this a hostile to the relay?  We aren't even accepting the mail.  We
> > are rejecting it before the conversation between the SMTP servers is
> > finished.  This email won't even hit your local queue.
>
> It's unlikely you are talking to the original sender.  Assume a
> forwarding relay has accepted a copy (as I am doing now), then
> trying to deliver.  If you give a 5xx smtp response you force the
> sending relay to construct a bounce.  But you know it's impossible
> to deliver it.

   If the forwarding relay cannot construct a bounce, it really has no
business accepting the mail in the first place.  Besides, just because you
cannot deliver a bounce, that doesn't mean the forwarding relay cannot.
An internal DNS, or mailertable are two ways that it could.

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville