[Mimedefang] MX -> 127.0.0.1

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Tue Sep 13 12:44:00 EDT 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 10:34, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>> How is this a hostile to the relay?  We aren't even accepting the
>> mail.  We are rejecting it before the conversation between the SMTP
>> servers is finished.  This email won't even hit your local queue.
>
> It's unlikely you are talking to the original sender.  Assume a
> forwarding relay has accepted a copy (as I am doing now), then
> trying to deliver.  If you give a 5xx smtp response you force the
> sending relay to construct a bounce.  But you know it's impossible
> to deliver it.

Assumptions, assumptions.

I am perfectly comfortable bouncing because...

* I scan inbound mail only.
Outbound mail is NOT scanned.

* I scan on my MX hosts.
I do NOT accept mail on any server under my control prior to scanning.

However, if either of the preceding were false (as they are for Les,) there would be a very strong case against action_bounce indeed.  action_discard would start to look very good, particularly if the outgoing queue was a bottleneck.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer