[Mimedefang] MX -> 127.0.0.1

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Tue Sep 13 11:48:13 EDT 2005

KAM wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> If the only or best MX target is 127.0.0.1, this is fairly hostile
>> toward your neighbor relay.   But, as I mentioned before, the spam
>> appliance I am forwarding through is doing a 451 temp_fail which
>> just prolongs the problem and backs up my queue.  There's no chance
>> that a notification is going to make it anywhere in this case
>> so why not drop it?   On the other hand if there are multiple
>> targets and some appear good, it might make sense to reject/bounce.
>
> How is this a hostile to the relay?  We aren't even accepting the
> mail.  We are rejecting it before the conversation between the SMTP
> servers is finished.  This email won't even hit your local queue.

This depends entirely on your SMTP topology.  There is no absolute answer.  It depends what part of the SMTP server universe is "yours", where you do your checking, and on your personal philosophy.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer