[Mimedefang] Re: RE: MX -> 127.0.0.1

Albert Croft acroft at cyber-wizard.com
Mon Sep 12 18:44:53 EDT 2005

mimedefang-request at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote:

>Today's Topics:
>
>   1. RE: MX -> 127.0.0.1 (Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com)

>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:59:39 -0700
>From: <Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com>
>Subject: RE: [Mimedefang] MX -> 127.0.0.1
>To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
>
>KAM wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the extra test cases.  Assuming they should all fail,
>>here's my new test stub.  Looks good to me.  Review and comment
>>appreciated.
>>
>>http://www.pccc.com/downloads/MIMEDefang/contrib/check_primary_mx_stub.pl
>>

>Review:
>
>Why do we only care about the first?  I'm tempted to say, fail if ANY of the MX records is invalid.  Are there any broken configs out there that have multirecord MX's with only one of them (not the first) being 127.0.0.1?

You might also want to look back at the archives for this list around
late-March/early-April of this year (and possibly earlier). I seem to
recall there being a similiar question being asked around that time, and
at least one code snippet posted as well, if memory serves.

Depending on what modules you allow yourself, you may be able to make
your life a little simpler by using one of the modules that can handle
IP addresses or address ranges.

-Albert C.