[Mimedefang] Re: "Please try again later"

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Sep 11 13:47:22 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 04:36, ADNET Ghislain wrote:
> > the RedHat source
> >RPMs with the trademarked name and artwork removed in a free
> >version: http://www.centos.org/.  Support is provided by
> >rebuilding the RHEL update RPMs as quickly as possible and
> >either up2date or yum will pick them up from a distributed network
> >of mirror sites.
> >
> i use redhat for some customers but Debian is way easier to manage for
> me, in the emai/web realm redhat is allways years late, check the mysql
> and spamassassin version  with up2date : 3.23 and 2.55 !

What _are_ you looking at?  RHEL4 (and thus Centos4) shipped with
Mysql 4.x eons ago; current versions are mysql-4.1.10a-2.RHEL4.1
and spamassassin-3.0.4-1.el4.

> Debian and FreeBSD are a breeze compared to Redhat in my little
> experience. I must say my experiences with FreeBSD is really good, the
> packages are updated and very well thinked as, like on gentoo they are
> compiled so you can choose in an array of options to best suit your setup.

Disregard anything you know about RH before/other than the Enterprise
versions RHEL3 and RHEL4 unless you want up-to-the second desktop apps.
I have an equivalent lack of experience with debian and everything I've
seen other than knoppix and ubuntu have been about 5 years behind what
I'd want to run.  Are you finding the stuff you like in some unstable
add-on directory?

> I do my best to stay away from non package version to be able to keep up
> with the "upgrade patch nightmare", after all sysadmin are mainly patch
> managers nowadays ;)

I build MD and clamav by hand just so I am sure I am completely up to
date with them without waiting for someone else to package them.  Other
than that (and the corresponding tweaking of sendmail.mc with the
rest conveniently handled by 'make' with provided Makefile, nothing
on my mail gateway has needed anything but an occasional 'yum update'
in years (it's running centos 3.5. I'm starting to move to Centos 4 on
some other machines where I want the newer mysql, etc.).

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com