[Mimedefang] filter question

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Thu Sep 8 14:33:33 EDT 2005

David Koski wrote:
> I'm looking for a filter to allow an opt-out per user using any type
> of filtering (Or more in the case, I would prefer to allow the user
> to opt-out of using SpamAssassin but not Clamav (But an example that
> just allows the user to opt-out of any filter would be fine, gets me
> started in the right direction)).  I have a couple of system users
> that I know we don't want to do any sort of Spam filtering on.

Meh.  There are certain deep and fundamental problems with this eminently natural feature request.

That is to say, you have to accept the RCPT commands BEFORE you get to see the email message.  And once you've seen the message, you have to accept it or reject it for ALL accepted recipients unilaterally.  That's just how SMTP works.

But what I do is...

I reject (action_bounce) all viral email.  Users don't have a choice to opt-out of virus protection.

I tag all spam (add a header, tweak the subject.)  Users are stuck with spam... I don't action_bounce it.  But they can set up custom spam handling preferences on their Inbox.

Users who don't get much spam just have it go into their Inbox, reducing the consequences of false positives.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer