[Mimedefang] OT: Email web form exploits

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Sep 7 09:47:30 EDT 2005

Chris Gauch wrote:

> City:  jeeukfllf at somedomain.com
> Fax:  jeeukfllf at somedomain.com

... etc ...

> So, the question is how can we really stop someone from using an
> HTML form (and the NUMBER verification technique is not an
> acceptable solution for our clients)?

You can't stop someone from using the form, but you can modify the
script so it doesn't send out e-mail if the "city" or "fax" fields
contain an "@" sign.  That should stop most of the abuse with very
few false-positives.  If someone does put an @ sign in those fields,
a helpful error message and invitation to fill out the form again
will probably take care of any problems.

Another option is a CAPTCHA of some kind, but those are irritating and
a pain to code up securely.

Ironic, isn't it?  We'll probably have to filter OUT things that "look like"
e-mail addresses in non-email fields.