[Mimedefang] how to disable notify=success

Marco Berizzi pupilla at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:00:39 EST 2005

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:

>Marco Berizzi wrote:
> > Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> >
> >> You can also prevent requests for them to hit your users.  IMO, this
> >> is good things, since return receipts are very handy way for
> >> spammers to verify that an email address exists.
> >>
> >> To disable them on SMTP level, simply tell sendmail you want to
> >> disable the feature.  Add noreceipts to confPRIVACY_FLAGS in
> >> sendmail.mc and reubuild sendmail.cf from it.  For example:
> >>
> >> define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `goaway,restrictqrun,noreceipts,noetrn')
> >
> > Is this a good thing to do? I was thinking to enable this setting.
> > Thanks a lot to everybody for the feedback.
>
>FWIW, I have this:
>
>dnl Tighten down allowed options
>dnl goaway = authwarnings, noexpn, novrfy, needmailhelo,
>dnl          needmailhelo, needexpnhelo, needvrfyhelo
>define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',`goaway,noreceipts,nobodyreturn')dnl

...mmmhhh thinking again. This will also disable internal users from getting
DSN. Is there any way to disable DSN for ip <> 192.168.x.x for example?
I was reading sendmail man page:
-N dsn    Set delivery status notification conditions to dsn, which can be
              `never'  for  no  notifications or a comma separated list of
the
              values `failure' to be notified if delivery failed,  `delay'
              be notified if delivery is delayed, and `success' to be
notified
              when the message is successfully delivered.

I have started sendmail with '-N failure,delay' but exchange always reply
with success DSN.
I'm going to add a 'Precendence: bulk' header to all messages that MD
receive from the internet so exchange will not generate success DSN. Is this
a wrong thing to do?