[Mimedefang] Bare returns in message body

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Nov 18 12:43:49 EST 2005

Quoting Steffen Kaiser <skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de>:

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>
>> If any of $SuspisiousCharsIn* are true, I'm doing (as one of the
>> first things in
>> filter_begin, even before checking for viruses):
>>
>> action_quarantine_entire_message('descriptive msg');
>> return action_bounce('descriptive msg');
>
> I did so for some time, too, but had to disable it, because some
> (important) people are subscribed to some CVS-has-changed
> notification lists, which send embedded CRs and NULs. The sender was
> complaining, that I'm the only person who thinks the mails are bad.

Sounds familiar.  People are too often completely ignorant.  They don't care
that simple upgrade of any component of email system (from email client
to SMTP
server to IMAP/POP3 server) can couse problems again (crashing the
email clients
or simply causing delivery problems again).  The only thing they care about is
to delegate problem to somebody else.  If your organization decides to swtich
to Cyrus IMAPD (for example) in the future, his emails are going to start
bouncing again.  Luckily, this time, you would be able to tell "I can't do
anything about it, it is erorr in client's software that generated those
emails, and it can only be fixed in that software".