[Mimedefang] FTC asks ISPs to crack down on zombie PCs

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Wed May 25 13:35:11 EDT 2005

On Wed, 25 May 2005 10:11:42 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote

> Agreed. I wouldn't be opposed to blocking port 25 if there were a
> way to get it unblocked for the clueful,

We unblock port 25 for _static_ IP customers that request it, but we also swip
their netblocks to them so those potential complaints dont come back to us
anyway if that static customer did have a spam/virus/etc related issue :-)

But, coming from the ISP side of things.. I am sorry.. dynamic IP space should
have port 25 blocked, it is the only responsible thing to do and has been our
policy (you do read EULAs and TOSs before agreeing to them dont you?) for over
2 years now, with _zero_ complaints. We do provide Authentication for users on
both port 25 and 587 (port 587 users MUST authenticate) as well. 99.9% of our
dynamic IP customers use our own MTAs for sending their mail, this does not
affect recieving mail one iota. Those that do not use one of our MTAs use a
different port for outgoing (like 587) to their other mail server or use a VPN.

Jim
--
EsisNet.com Webmail Client