[Mimedefang] Odd error messages filling up logfiles in new deployment (MD 2.49 or 2.51)

Albert Croft acroft at cyber-wizard.com
Tue May 24 14:29:49 EDT 2005

Just configured a new machine to act as a filter gateway to replace the
current, underpowered machine, and encountering an error I do not
understand that is at times filling up the log files. The entries have
the following appearance:

May 24 12:52:30 spam1b mimedefang-multiplexor[20618]: Slave 1 stderr:
-f<sender at sending.domain> -odd -Ac -oi <recipient at receiving.domain>
-f<sender at sending.domain> -odd -Ac -oi <recipient at receiving.domain>....

The content being sent to stderr will repeat ad nausium until either I
stop mimedefang, or the partition fills completely. I would have to
remove the mdefang-<msgID> directory before restarting mimedefang, or it
would repeat as soon as it restarted.

I have seen this occur now with multiple emails, all of which were under
40KB, with one of the messages being a 2KB email that contained only a
plain and an html section that appeared to be formatted using some
version of Office/Word. Nothing in the email stands out as odd, and
other messages can be successfully processed until this occurs.

I have tried both mimedefang 2.51 and 2.49, to the same effect. The new
machine is running SpamAssassin 3.03 and sendmail 8.13.1 under CentOS
4.0, with Milter.LogLevel=0 and LogLevel=9, and was adapted from a
working gateway using mimedefang 2.49 with SpamAssassin 2.63 also with
sendmail 8.13.1 under RedHat 9, with Milter.LogLevel=4 and LogLevel=9,
which has not seen this behavior before.

I have tried looking through the site, the mailing list archives, and
Google, to no effect. Any help/direction/etc. is greatly appreciated in
advance.

Sincerely,
Albert C.