[Mimedefang] FTC asks ISPs to crack down on zombie PCs

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Wed May 25 15:01:18 EDT 2005

Gary Schrock wrote:
> At 01:44 PM 5/25/2005, you wrote:
> Blocking outgoing port 25 prevents me from using my own legit
> business server at work.

That's what port 587 is for.

> (Ok, maybe if they don't block 587 also, but
> let's face it, it's just a matter of time before isp's start doing
> that too).

Why?  Mail servers can be reasonably expected to require some kind of authorization to accept mail on port 587.  So that port is useless for spammers, unless they can hijack your credentials.  And if they can, at least the blame can be placed on your business, where it belongs.  Your business will then likely lock your account until your machine can be cleaned.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com                 805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer