[Mimedefang] Re: mimedefang error mimedefang.sock unsafe??

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Wed Mar 23 20:55:15 EST 2005

alan premselaar wrote:
[...snip...]

> I just encountered this same problem on a system that has been running
> flawlessly until today.
>
> I was seeing a bunch of
> Mar 24 09:44:04 mail mimedefang-multiplexor[21236]: Killing busy slave
> 17 (pid 10445): Busy timeout
> Mar 24 09:44:04 mail mimedefang[21249]: Error from multiplexor: ERR
> Filter timed out - system may be overloaded (consider increasing busy
> timeout)
>
> and
>
> Mar 24 09:44:24 mail mimedefang[21249]: mfconnect: No free slaves
>
> errors in my mail log.

...snip...

> any insight would be extremely useful.
>
> alan

So, to reply to my own post, I've been toying around and determined that
Embedded Perl appears to be the culprit.

I turned off embedded perl and mimedefang.sock is being created properly.

It ocurred to me that a friend of mine was having some other issues
where mimedefang wouldn't start properly with embedded perl turned on
and kept hanging on the call to SpamAssassin.

I'm running mimedefang 2.49 with Perl 5.8.5 on RedHat EL 3.0 update 4
along with sendmail 8.13.3

is this a bug?

for the time being I'll upgrate to mimedefang 2.51 and see if that
changes anything.

also, just for kicks I rebooted the machine (which I know i shouldn't
have had to do, but i figured if i was having weird memory issues a
reboot might clear them up) and that had 0 effect on the situation.

Alan