Phish detection (was Re: [Mimedefang] for mcafee lovers)

Ian Mitchell trash at aftermagic.com
Wed Mar 23 10:45:45 EST 2005

> Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:27:26 -0500
> From: "James Ebright" <jebright at esisnet.com>
> Subject: Re: Phish detection (was Re: [Mimedefang] for mcafee lovers)
>
> I agree... unfortunately most of our clients use windoze and most IE and
> even
> with auto updates it seems many still manage to get spyware etc on their
> PC
> once in a while...

I don't think auto updates will do anything to prevent spy ware. That's
not a "threat" or a "critical" vulnerability, just an annoyance. Now,
worms and viruses, M$ seems to put those a little higher up on the pecking
order, sometimes. The only way to prevent spy ware is to disable the
accessibility features and remove the end users abilities to interact with
the computer (may involve surgically removing appendages). And that's
provided you're fully patched... Otherwise, you adopt strict usability
guild lines blessed by management, you heavily restrict permissions in the
registry and on the file system, you turn off everything they don't need,
firewall, scan, hoopa jupta stick it, dance a special dance, and pray or
be prey.

> Its as the saying goes.. give me strength to change what I can change,
> give me
> courage to accept the things I cannot change, and grant me wisdom to know
> the
> difference!

Figure that out, and you'll be rich beyond your wildest dreams ;)