[Mimedefang] OT: greylisting values

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Mar 6 21:12:47 EST 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, -ray wrote:

> How long do you greylist for?  I think 1 minute.

I do it for two minutes.

> How long to keep greylist entries?  I think 5 days.

I keep them for two days.

> How long to whitelist for?  30 days?

I use 40 days.

> I know to greylist the from/to/ip tuple, but do you whitelist the entire
> tuple, or just the IP address?

I don't whitelist the IP address, but once an IP has retried, I don't
greylist it again for 40 days.

> Do you whitelist just the IP, or the IP's /24 network? (for the mailfarm
> problem).

For the original tuple, I use <sender,recip,classC> where classC is the
IP's /24 network.  For whitelisting a host-known-to-retry, I use the
entire IP address.