[Mimedefang] This mail's for you... NOT!

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Sat Mar 5 00:50:51 EST 2005

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
> David F. Skoll wrote:
>
>>>Most of the spam messages that I receive are addresses to
>>>non-existing users... Mailing list I guess...  Can I setup a way to
>>>accept mail for only a list of e-mail addresses?
>>
>>Yes, there are a number of ways to do this.  Search the list archives
>>for "md_check_against_smtp_server"
>

> Alas Exchange tends to accept EVERYTHING and send rejects later.  With later versions of Exchange there's a registry hack to get it to behave properly.

At one point I was using sendmail / mimedefang / etc in front of an
exchange server (and have since gotten rid of the exchange server
thankfully) ... at that time I used some sendmail rules to do LDAP
lookups into the active directory to determine deliverability of mail
and reject if undeliverable.

We were using Exchange 2000 which didn't have the registry setting.

as far as outgoing mail was concerned, the exchange server was on a
local subnet (192.168.0.x) and I had the sendmail machine multi-homed.
I just added the IP of the Exchange server into the access database with
RELAY  and used a mailertable to route incoming mail to the exchange server.

while we were using the exchange server, it worked pretty nicely.

alan