[Mimedefang] Ad / Announcement: CanIt is free for small organizations

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Thu Mar 3 12:07:04 EST 2005

> Hi,
>
> I hope you don't consider this an abuse of the MIMEDefang list, but...
>
> We're announcing that small organizations (those with up to 50 e-mail
> addresses), can use CanIt for free.  Note that CanIt is still commercial
> software; it's not open-source.  But it's "free-as-in-beer" for small
> organizations.
>
> The press release is here:
> 	http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/7628.html
>
> The Free CanIt page is here:
> 	http://www.roaringpenguin.com/anti_spam/free_canit.php?=mdlist
>
> The Free CanIt sign-up form is here:
> 	http://www.roaringpenguin.com/promo/free_canit.php?id=mdlist
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

Hi David.

Thanks for releasing this to small orgs.

Quick Question: What is the advantage to using the Canit system over the free
Mimedefang?  Do I have the ability it Canit to customize the mimedefang
filter to behave similar to standard Mimedefang?  For instance, I like to do
things like check and reject based on the HELO parameter (I saw in canit
where I can set a rule to add points to an email based on the HELO command,
but I want to reject right out if the connection system claims to be from my
domain).

I also have secondary MXs that are not under my control and have had to pay a
good bit of attention to my mimedefang filter to accommodate for that (like
discard instead of reject if the SPAM is coming from my secondary MX).
Again, I saw something about that in the canit user manual, but since I
didn't get very far in the setup, I didn't pay much attention to that
section.

You may stop reading here, if you like. :)

Boring background stuff:

I was planning to use this at home, but my Fedora system is a bit past Core 3
and canit didn't work well on it.  For instance, postgresql starts, but gives
"failed" on startup even though a status later says its running.  Also, my
system seems to have stopped setting cookies and I can't log into the canit
web interface.

HOWEVER, on a newly installed FC3 system I have, it installs and behaves just
as the docs says...so it seems that it is my system that is slightly borked.

SO, I asked the question above to be sure I am going to gain a decided benefit
before I reinstall my mail server from scratch.

Thanks,
Troy