[Mimedefang] Anti-virus software

Dave O'Neill dmo at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Mar 2 11:17:01 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 07:07:04AM +0000, Rob MacGregor wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:25:06 GMT, Mark <admin at asarian-host.net> wrote:
> >
> > ClamAV, which I am now testing, works as advertised. But I read
> > you get a "ClamAV installation is OUTDATED" message whenever
> > the update program decides you need a newer version.
>
> Probably because they've still not hit a 1.0 release yet and it's very
> heavily in development.  It'll still work if you don't upgrade, you
> just don't get the new signatures.

The reason Clam spits out such a vehement warning is because some of the
more recent releases incorporate code changes necessary to detect
certain viruses and worms.  Without those changes, things can slip
through even if you're religiously updating your signatures on a regular
basis.

I wouldn't put too much stock in a 1.0 number.  Open source software is
often very stable with a < 1.0 release.  For example openssl, used in
many security-critical production environments, has been at an 0.9.x
release since 1998.

Cheers,
Dave
--