[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang with round-robin DNS

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Jun 6 15:28:45 EDT 2005

Fredrik Nyberg DC wrote:

> I was planning (actually, I'm forced to) to use one box as MTA and have
> the actual filtering done on two other boxes with a common DNS-name
> (round robin). I'm assuming sendmail resolves the hostname of the milter
> connection once per SMTP session, but I haven't looked at the source...

I see no advantage to this, and at least two disadvantages:

- Transferring the message body now involves the network instead
of a UNIX-domain socket.

- If one machine is down, the milter will hang or fail.  If instead,
you use two self-contained Sendmail/MIMEDefang boxes publised as
equal-weighted MX records, senders will fall back on the good box if
one goes bad.