[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang with round-robin DNS

Fredrik Nyberg DC nba at abo.fi
Mon Jun 6 15:39:16 EDT 2005

David F. Skoll wrote:

> I see no advantage to this, and at least two disadvantages:
>
> - Transferring the message body now involves the network instead
> of a UNIX-domain socket.

This should not be a problem since we are on a 100 Mbit switched and
firewalled network. We have been using network sockets before without
problems.

> - If one machine is down, the milter will hang or fail.  If instead,
> you use two self-contained Sendmail/MIMEDefang boxes publised as
> equal-weighted MX records, senders will fall back on the good box if
> one goes bad.

A very valid point. Politics, however, will probably make this
impossible. I am, at least for a while, stuck with 1 MTA and two filter
boxes of different architecture and operating systems. The filter boxes
are not only for redundancy, but also for load balancing.

Sendmail will attempt to reconnect on failure to a filter a certain
amount of times and the likelyhood of repeated failure will decline.

Cheers,
Fredrik