[Mimedefang] [sendmail patch] Log greetpause rejection time

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Fri Jun 3 07:17:20 EDT 2005

All,

Here's a(nother) sendmail patch (against 8.13.4) for review.

[ I realise this isn't directly MIMEDefang related, but I figure the
audience here is likely to find this useful.  If not, please let me know
I'll refrain from posting these here ]

http://jc.ngo.org.uk/trac-bin/trac.cgi/changeset/272

 From the commit message:

Log additional information when a connecting client triggers a greet
pause check.

At the moment the log line looks something like this:

... from example.com [A.B.C.D] due to pre-greeting traffic

The patch inserts " after n seconds" immediately after the IP address,
so that it now looks like:

... from example.com [A.B.C.D] after 8 seconds due to pre-greeting traffic

This is helpful when determining what is and is not a good greetpause
figure for your system. It can also be useful when arguing the
effectiveness of a particular figure -- for example, "60% of our inbound
traffic waits for between 20 and 30 seconds before triggering the check,
therefore reducing our greetpause value below 30 seconds is a bad idea".