[Mimedefang] Adding footers or signatures to all outgoing email

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Fri Jul 8 22:48:42 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Lisa Casey wrote:

> How would I do this using MimeDefang? I'm thinking about adding a small
> commercial "blurb" about my company (an ISP) to outgoing mail.

   Using your filter rules file (mimedefang-filter), you would first
determine if an email is one that you consider "outgoing".  Most people do
this by looking at the IP address of the relay - if it's in your domain
and the recipient address is not, it is probably an outgoing message.  If
you allow authenticated senders to send email through your gateway from an
IP address other than your own, you may need to employ different methods.
Anyway, once you determine that the email is one that you wish to append
the tag to, you can use the MIMEDefang functions append_text_boilerplate()
and append_html_boilerplate() to append the text you want.  I would
recommend you do this in filter_end(), after any calls to SpamAssassin (if
you use SA).  I would also recommend that you call both functions, as many
mail clients nowadays may display only the html part of an email, and not
the text part.

   HTH...

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville