[Mimedefang] Re: Sendmail config (slightly OT) (Sven Willenberger)

Sven Willenberger sven at dmv.com
Wed Jan 12 18:31:48 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 14:45 -0500, Dirk the Daring wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 Sven wrote:
>
> >From how our system works, I can infer that delay_checks causes sendmail
> >to do a lookup in access first. A REJECT will do that .. an OK will
> >allow sendmail to continue processing the mail. In this case, unless a
> >user is specifically listed in the access table, mail is blocked with a
> >standard 550 ERROR: Mailbox Disabled for this recipient.
>
> Sven,
>
>    Thanks for the reply. Specifying each user/address allowed to go thru
> is a cure that, for me, would be as bad or worse than the disease. I
> appreciate you taking the time to respond, tho.

It does seem a bit unwieldy, yes, except all my users are stored in a
database; one of the fields in the db is a "class" field which receives
an entry if a user is added, deleted, etc. A cron job on the mail server
queries the db for any users to be added or deleted and creates a new
access file if there are any changes. It's all quite automatic and
really saves our final destination mail servers much grief over trying
to bounce mail to non-existent users back to [forged] non-existent
senders.

We have this running on 2 different mail systems, one that handles six
larger domains (for a total of some 50k users), and the other for a
total of probably 200+ domains, mainly smaller email domains.

Sven