[Mimedefang] Re: Sendmail config (slightly OT) (Ashley M. Kirchner)

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jan 12 16:54:59 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 14:20, Dirk the Daring wrote:

>    Yep, I do that too. All the Domains have MX records pointing to this
> one relay server.
>
> >        /etc/mail/mailertable
> >           pcraft.com      esmtp:spool.pcraft.com
> >           yeehaw.net      esmtp:swiri.yeehaw.net
>
>    OK, so what do you do if SOME of the addresses @pcraft.com need to go
> to spool.pcraft.com and the rest need to go to otherserver.pcraft.com ?

Put pcraft.com in local-host-names (you have to restart sendmail for
this one) and direct to the real destination via aliases.  It is best
if you have the complete list on the MX host so you can reject unknowns
immediately, but you can use only the aliases to one machine and send
all the rest to another via MAIL_HUB.  In sendmail.mc:
define(`MAIL_HUB', `esmtp:otherserver.pcraft.com')
will make all local deliveries (after checking aliases) go there.

But, you have to make sure that all mail clients send directly to
your MX relay instead of their own mail server.  You might be better
off configuring everything to use LDAP.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com