[Mimedefang] MySQL Greylisting: grey_old records

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Tue Jan 11 06:07:07 EST 2005

Todd,

>I'm assuming that this is supposed to happen when a whitelisted entry is
>found in the database that has been there and not accessed for longer
>than the time period defined by gdb_white (currently set to 30 days), but
>I only implimented this setup earlier this morning with a brand new
>database!  Does anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening on my
>system already?  Or am I misunderstanding grey_old?

Are the addresses which show grey_old also addresses which have sent spam to you
today?  There is a feature in John's implementation which resets the greylist
status of any IP which has messages scoring over the grey_reset level, and the
way it does this (if I'm reading the code correctly) is to set the timestamp to
zero.  As a result, the next spam from them will come through and be classed as
grey_old.

The documentation of this implementation is better than any other I've seen, but
it does still leave something to be desired.

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741