OT: Re: [Mimedefang] Fedora to replace sendmail with Exim as default MTA?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Feb 28 14:44:40 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Nels Lindquist wrote:

> > Huh.  I've already become so fed up with Red Hat that I'm switching to
> > Debian anyway.  (Exim is the default on Debian, but it's easy to
> > replace it with Sendmail.)

> Are you fed up with RedHat due to their packaging choices, or their
> pricing/licensing?

Packaging choices, mostly.  I also don't like the way SELinux breaks
almost everything useful. :-(

I've been using Debian Testing for about a month now, and I'm really
quite impressed with how everything fits together nicely.  The wealth
of packaged software is amazing; almost everything I've wanted is just
an "apt-get install" away (with the single unhappy exception of XFCE
version 3.)

> If it's the latter, you might want to have a look at CentOS.  It's a
> RHEL rebuild with timely updates but without the high-priced support
> contract.

We don't use RHEL here anyway, so that's not an issue for us.  (Well,
we have a RHEL3 build machine for CanIt.  We build our RHEL4 binaries
with RHEL4 running under QEMU on Debian.)

I also feel it's a bit nasty to Red Hat to use CentOS or White Box
Linux.  Even though it's perfectly legal, I'd rather use a different
distro than use (basically) Red Hat's commercial distro without paying
anything to Red Hat.  I suppose Red Hat doesn't care because it
doesn't get money either way, :-) but it's just for my comfort.