[Mimedefang] Scary... Filtering on the outbound.

John Scully jscullylg3 at lifegiver.net
Fri Feb 18 10:39:25 EST 2005

On inbound we are using the same sort of tracking - log and count number of
bad recipients from one IP as a ratio to good recipients during the envelope
stage, we will discard a message before the data stage if it hits 5 bad
receipients with no good ones.

I think others do something similar, because I have seen the average number
of recipients per message keep dropping.

During one dictionary spam run inbound to ONE of our domains we saw 538K "no
such user" events in 75K messages from 24K Ip addresses, with multiple
messages per IP!  That is only   22 recipients per IP and a little over 7
per message.

That is one reason we have started using iptables to block at the
interface - think of the denial of service attack 24K infected PCs could do
if they were focused on one domain.

John