[Mimedefang] Scary... Filtering on the outbound.

John Scully jscullylg3 at lifegiver.net
Fri Feb 18 10:31:14 EST 2005

We watch number of recipients and number of messages - the spammer worms
seem to be sending no more than five recipients per message now.

We also keep track of the blocking history of the sending IP if inbound or
real user if outbound, and scale the time we block up for repeat senders as
well as becoming more sensitive.

Like this:

If a user who we have not blocked in the last 30 days starts sending high
spam score messages they could send a fair number before we block them, and
the initial block might be for 15 minutes (we are still playing with this
figure).  After they are unblocked they start again, we erspond faster and
block for one hour.  After the third block in one day we are hitting them on
the FIRST message...so nothing is going out.

But it is self-healing - they wait an hour and send a normal message it goes
right out.

We are also working on improving the message we send to the infected user
when they are our email user - let them know it is likely a worm, include
links to free scanners etc.