[Mimedefang] Redirecting email with mimedefang

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Tue Feb 8 09:59:07 EST 2005

Paul Murphy wrote:
> No, it is not a good idea to do it here.  The correct places are in
> the local aliases file, or in virtusertable within Sendmail.

Only if you're not redirecting based on the results of MIMEDefang
processing.  I have a system set up for domain hosting that redirects
anything tagged as spam into a separate "spam at domain" account.  I can't
do this at delivery, because I'm not using procmail or some other
similarly configurable delivery agent.  I can't just insert an alias or
virtuser entry, because not all email should be diverted.

And I *really* don't feel like creating custom sendmail delivery
rulesets (not even sure if that would work...) when MIMEDefang can do
the job in (relatively) clear and straightforward Perl.

> Also, most admins will expect redirects to be done by Sendmail, and
> so the transparency of your system is affected - important if you
> have multiple admins, or you leave.

That's why you document what you've done.  <g>

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!