[Mimedefang] Greylisting

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Dec 14 21:37:57 EST 2005

Gary Funck wrote:

> something worth mentioning: greylisting is highly effective,
> but it takes some getting used to.  Like when you go to a
> web site and register a new account, and wait, wait, wait for
> the reply to come in with your account confirmation e-mail.

Yup.

Our (commercial) implementation of greylisting notes when a host
makes it past the greylist hurdle.  Once that happens, we don't greylist
that host for 40 days.  It's a simple trick that greatly reduces the annoyance
of greylisting delays without materially reducing the effectiveness of
greylisting.  I'm not sure if any of the free greylisting implementations
do this (but hey... here's a project for someone...)