[Mimedefang] Spam with more than one recipient - reject or not?

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Wed Aug 17 11:58:43 EDT 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 03:26, Michal Jankowski wrote:
>>
>> I have received a suggestion to stream by recipient.
>>
>> But that's a big no-no. Once you do that, you have effectively
>> accepted the smtp transaction. So you cannot 'bounce' and the only
>> way to notify sender is by mail, which should be avoided at all cost.
>
> This is the same situation you have if a forwarding relay is
> involved and one or more almost certainly already is for all
> real non-local mail.  If a sender is really going to be notified,
> a bounce message has to be constructed and mailed whether you
> do it or the previous relay does it.

This depends entirely on your local mail topology.  If MIMEDefang is running on your MX hosts, there is a real social cost associated with stream-by-recipient.  If MIMEDefang is running on an internal SMTP hub, then you've already accepted the mail anyway at your perimeter servers, and that cost goes away.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer