[Mimedefang] Specifying valid users?

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Sun Aug 14 23:15:19 EDT 2005

On Aug 14, 2005, at 7:14 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:

> John Rudd wrote:
>
>>> You're running MIMEDefang on a Mac? :-)  Brave man!
>
>> Not to start an OS war, but it's not like there's a better choice out
>> there.  :-)
>
> Mac OS X might be a fine OS, but it comes standard with Postfix.
> Getting Sendmail to run on it was pretty painful,

I think that, early on, OS X had a problem with sendmail and a few
other packages that assumed case sensitivity in their package contents
(two files whose names differ only by case).  But with current versions
of both, it seems to build just fine.  I didn't encounter any problems
at all (but I also never tried to build it on earlier versions of OS
X).

And, OS X is _much_ more like a standard BSD flavor than Nextstep was.

> and the filesystem
> hierarchy is unlike any other UNIX I've ever encountered.

Like what?  The only thing I can directly think of where you wouldn't
find something standard where you might expect it is the location of
system wide perl modules.  And that's a fairly easy thing to cope with.