[Mimedefang] HUGE problem with mimedefang

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Apr 21 16:27:19 EDT 2005

Lisa Casey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sigh,  no I think  it's probably me that doesn't understand. Mimedefang
> is runing as a milter under Sendmail. I don't start mimedefang using
> /etc/init.d/mimedefang, I start it using /etc/init.d/sendmail. This
> script starts Sendmail and Mimedefang. When I installed mimedefang 2.48
> I modified /etc/init.d/sendmail  as my directions said to do. In
> /etc/init.d/sendmail there is:
>
> # Start daemons.
>
>        /etc/init.d/mimedefang start
>
> Are you saying I should modify that to read /etc/init.d/mimedefang -U
> defang start

Well, personally, I would find that to set bad precedence as if anything changes
with sendmail - the /etc/init.d/sendmail file would change. You really want to
start mimedefang before sendmail. You're running it the same way I am - but I'm
keeping the processes separate... which everyone here will probably say is a
good idea...

Divide and conquer. Works in wars and Unix. ;)

So split them back apart. Figure out which runlevel you want mimedefang to start
in (which can be summed up as, any runlevel that has an S##sendmail) and put in
a link to /etc/init.d/mimedefang to those rc.X dirs with an S##mimedefang AND
MAKE SURE THAT THE ## is one less than sendmail. (it's that easy)

then go back and check your mimedefang script and make sure it's the way you
want. ;)

  -Ben