[Mimedefang] Dual system: filter_recipient and sendmail

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Thu Apr 21 14:00:50 EDT 2005

Feyaerts Vincent wrote:
> The problem: when I enable the use of filter_recipient it seems that
> this filter is solely responsible for deciding if an e-mail address is
> valid - not sendmail anymore.
>
> Is there a way in filter_recipient to return a value and say to
> sendmail: "I don't know", check your aliases and virtusertable (in other
> words: standard sendmail procedure). So in short: filter_recipient
> should respond "ok" (LDAP search was good) or "sendmail, you check it"..
> it's this last thing. I need this because many e-mail addresses are just
> not available in our LDAP repository..

You may be looking at this backwards.  As I understand it,
filter_recipient lets you *continue* or reject, not accept or reject.
If filter_recipient says "ok" to an address, it goes on to the normal
sendmail procedure.  (We've been using it here for ages, and we still
issue plenty of "User unknown" errors for addresses that passed
filter_recipient.)

So what you need to do is break down the address space by which servers
handle it.  Instead of doing an LDAP lookup for all addresses, only do
it for those that will be going to the Exchange boxes.  Return CONTINUE
or REJECT for those based on the LDAP result, and then CONTINUE for
everything else, letting sendmail take care of the rest.

--
Kelson Vibber