[Mimedefang] How can mimedefang use spamc/spamd funcitonsofspamassassin?

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Sun Apr 17 04:48:30 EDT 2005

On Sep 4,  6:25am, Jan Pieter Cornet wrote:
} On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:29:55PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > } Hmmm... on further reflection, your original request was for per-user
} > } SpamAssassin preferences.
} > }
} > } I think your best bet is to turn OFF MIMEDefang's SpamAssassin
} > } integration, and run it from procmail.
} >
} >      No, it isn't.  This has quite a bit more overhead.  Also, you
} > can't reject messages this way.  You either have to discard them, or
} > bounce them.  Bouncing spam is a bad idea because it often has the
} > address of an innocent third party as the return address.  Note the
} >
} > } Any MTA-integrated SpamAssassin calls are by their nature
} > } user-independent (since a given piece of email can have multiple
} > } recipients).  I think you're stuck with MUA calls only.
} >
} >      MIMEDefang's stream_by_recipient() function takes care of this
} > problem.
}
} ... but stream_by_recipient will cause you to send bounces instead
} of rejecting the email, if the spam was sent to more than one recipient.

     Yeah, I know.  I did skip some of the details.  My filter actually
says:

if (defined($delspam) && $hits >= $delspam) {
    md_graphdefang_log('spam', $hits, $RelayAddr);
    if ($WasResent) {
        return action_discard();
    } else {
        return action_bounce("This message appears to be spam - rejected");
    }
}

} You cannot have per-user configurations, and reject spam based on
} spamassassin score, in a general way, because of limitations of the
} SMTP protocol. There is little that mimedefang can do about that.

     True, the technique only works well for single recipient
messages.  Multi-recipient messages do cause problems.

} I am trying to do the same thing though :) but I don't think per-user
} scoring with the granularity that spamassassin offers, is scalable.

     Depends on the size of your machine :->  You can get some pretty
skookum machines on eBay without having to rob a bank to pay for them.

} I'm aiming for a few classes of SA settings, and probably also dividing
} remote hosts in spammishness-levels, and then selectively tempfailing
} multiple recipients when you receive different "classed" users from
} spammish remote hosts. But that's currently only in the "idea" stage...

     Not to discourage you, but I don't think it is worth the effort.

}-- End of excerpt from Jan Pieter Cornet