[Mimedefang] How can mimedefang use spamc/spamdfuncitonsofspamassassin?

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Thu Apr 14 12:21:50 EDT 2005

Jan Pieter Cornet wrote:
> You cannot have per-user configurations, and reject spam based on
> spamassassin score, in a general way, because of limitations of the
> SMTP protocol. There is little that mimedefang can do about that.
>
> I am trying to do the same thing though :) but I don't think per-user
> scoring with the granularity that spamassassin offers, is scalable.
> I'm aiming for a few classes of SA settings, and probably also
> dividing remote hosts in spammishness-levels, and then selectively
> tempfailing multiple recipients when you receive different "classed"
> users from spammish remote hosts. But that's currently only in the
> "idea" stage...

What is the distribution of scalar @Recipients across your incoming mail?  I'd guess that most email has @Recipients == 1, a small percentage have @Recipients == 2, and it drops exponentially from there.  It may be worthwhile doing some kind of

if (@Recipients <= 5)
{	# do per-user spam checking
}

I'd guess that if user A considers a message spam, user B is quite likely to consider it spam too - so quite often, even if there as many as four recipients, you'll be able to reject it as ALL recipients consider it spam.

What to do in the outlying cases, though... if A, B, C, and D are copied, and D wants to keep it, how do you break the news to A, B, and C that they're stuck with this message they consider spam?

And what if you start getting obvious spam with @Recipients == 1000?

Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com                 805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"