[Mimedefang] Re: OT: Anyone here use Dovecot imap server in production evironment?

Atanas mimedefang at asd.aplus.net
Tue Apr 12 02:47:49 EDT 2005

I'm using courier-imap quite happily for about 2 years on dozens of
boxes with 2-3K users/virtual domains and 5-10K email accounts per box.
These are primarily web servers, and for only a small fraction of the
resources a single installation of courier-imap handles about 200-500K
pop3/imap logins a day.

It's well thought, flexible and efficient. You can attach it to whatever
LDA you like, for instance I'm using it with procmail, and have also
another setup with maildrop. You can use whatever authentication you
like - PAM, userdb, mysql, LDAP, etc.

Besides the courier-imap and maildrop, the courier project also has
another somewhat mature and useful child - sqwebmail. It's a basic
CGI-based webmail client, which is very fast (works directly with the
maildirs). So accessing large folders with imap, pop3 or webmail is not
a problem.

It's not that much of a rocket science to configure it, especyally when
you have it almost preconfigured in FreeBSD ports. I can post some
sample configuration hookups if someone is interested.

Regards,
Atanas