[Mimedefang] OT: Anyone here use Dovecot imap server in production evironment?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Apr 6 20:03:26 EDT 2005

Jeremy Mates wrote:

> I tested Dovecot briefly on OpenBSD, and lost mailboxes. No idea what
> happened, but UW-IMAP has been much more forgiving, especially when
> compiled with MBX support for faster mailboxes. Looking to move to
> Cyrus, for the single message store (e-mail to multiple recipients
> stored once, something maildir does not handle), and for the features we
> need at work (Kerberos, shared mail boxes).

Cyrus is definitely a much more "serious" server, and I do miss the
shared mailboxes.  (We worked around it with Dovecot by creating special
users and giving access to the appropriate people:  All the salespeople
get to access "shsales", for example.)

One thing that is a bit of a pain with Cyrus is that it's very awkward
to use procmail with Cyrus, and Sieve just isn't as flexible as procmail.