[Mimedefang] OT: Anyone here use Dovecot imap server in production evironment?

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Wed Apr 6 18:34:52 EDT 2005

* Shayne Hardesty <lists at sh.birmingham.al.us>
> From reading Dovecot's site (dovecot.org) it looks promising.. It can
> use mbox or maildir, and is written to be fast and secure. I'm just
> wondering if it's ready for prime time yet.. Anyone here use it on a
> fairly busy server (500+ users)? If so please share your experiences
> (on list or off, whatever you're comfortable with).

I tested Dovecot briefly on OpenBSD, and lost mailboxes. No idea what
happened, but UW-IMAP has been much more forgiving, especially when
compiled with MBX support for faster mailboxes. Looking to move to
Cyrus, for the single message store (e-mail to multiple recipients
stored once, something maildir does not handle), and for the features we
need at work (Kerberos, shared mail boxes).