[Mimedefang] mimedefang and clamav

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Apr 6 15:51:51 EDT 2005

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 04/06/2005 03:38:22
PM:

> I find that clamav is less overhead than mimedefang.  If I can call
clamav
> first, before mimedefang and discard any emails be it gets to
mimedefang, I
> think i will see a savings on the proc.

Wouldn't the advantage of blocking unsafe extensions before even calling
clamd outweigh make up for the need to call mail-clamav?

And if you tell sendmail that there are two milters, doesn't it call each
one at every step of the SMTP conversation?  So either way, aren't you
invoking MD repeatedly before you actually scan the message with
milter-clamav?  And you loose all those opprotunities to reject the
message as junk (bogus HELO, RCPT TO, etc values) before you even bother
checking for viruses.