[Mimedefang] OT - Using rDNS sendmail hack - your experiences

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Apr 26 16:30:43 EDT 2005

Rich West wrote:
> Personally, we've looked in to it.  We tend to agree that AOL's position
> is somewhat aggressive since their techs are usually behind the time and
> don't support their own new technologies well.  But, political opinions
> aside, we were leary about implementing it because, frankly, we were
> afraid of the possible negative impact.  So, we have relied on
> MimeDefang to do this check for us..
>
> However, as time has worn on (and the amount of SPAM has blossomed), we
> have started testing this hack on our in-house testing server.  Hearing
> of your experiences does make me feel a bit better regarding the patch,
> too.  Do you have any stats on how many connections this has prevented?

I've been using it on and off and I'd like to say I am simply AMAZED at the
number of domains with horked up DNS, but considering the temperature of today's
"hire the cheapest admin we can" attitude, I'm not.

I just turned it off today after having it on since like December to see what
happens (actually to prove to the person who asked me to turn it off that the
people he wants email from should just fix their damn DNS)...

So it definitely has its blessed-cursedness...

It stops a lot of spam.
It stops a lot of legit email.

Can't say much more than that.

I have some stats... they're tabular so... for what it's worth

http://www.benjammin.net/www/pages/spam/month-index.html

Look at the noDNS and ForgedDomain

  -Ben